Sunday, August 19, 2012

Family Reunion

I spent the past weekend in Birmingham at a family reunion.  We are not your typical family and so our reunions  never typical. I know its impolite to brag but indulge me for a moment and let me tell you about my remarkable family.

There's my sister, she is a pediatrician.  She spends her days treating children with few other resources.  But on her day off she looked in my youngest son's ears and treated another one of our reunion guest's daughter.   And my little brother Ray is a brilliant business man but he feels called to do something different, something higher, and so he is in seminary.  My big sister Andrea is just what you want in a big sister always protective, and a little bossy.  I am so proud to stand beside her in our chosen profession, she spends her time at work making the world safer for children who need it.  And she is raising such a handsome little gentleman.  Another sister is funny and has a beautiful singing voice, she writes, does a little of everything really.  I haven't met her girlfriend yet, but she must be special to be with her.  One of my brothers lives in LA and is an actor.

  If you are lucky you have a brother or a sister who knows and loves you through all of your awkward phases and beyond.  If you are really lucky you have a good friend who has been through those highs and lows with you as well.  I don't know what you call us. We are not connected by blood but by time and experiences. A tribe? When we are together I feel at  home, no matter where we are.

When I joined the tribe I felt safe, I knew it was okay to be different.  Thirty years later I still feel the same way.   Childhood can be a treacherous time, but the people who share your scars are the ones you still call friends a lifetime later.   When I confronted a grown up bully in my own life, guess who was still there and holding my hand? The people from my tribe, my protectors. 

 It wouldn't be fair or even accurate to say we were "color blind"  If anything we celebrate our differences.   As children we didn't know it mattered, as adults we recognize that this diversity is what makes us who we are as individuals and as a tribe.  Religious, non religious, gay, straight, black, white, Asian, all the children of the world are part of our family.

I am so grateful to be part of my little tribe.  And this past weekend we gathered for our family reunion.  We showed off our babies, the next members of our tribe.  We laughed in the way you only can with your family..which is loudly and without a moment's hesitation at yourself and with everyone else.  A lot can happen in almost thirty years marriages end, people die and so we shed a few tears as well.  But mostly we just enjoyed being together.  Here is our family portrait


I joined this family in fourth grade.  Tomorrow my son starts fourth grade, I hope in 30 years he is hanging with his family.  

No comments:

Post a Comment