Wednesday, October 30, 2013

We don't speak "Whinese" here...

Pet parenting peeve?  Whining- oh my LORD I cannot stand it.  We have a hard and fast rule in this house you  never get what you want by whining.  When Robert and Ethan were smaller I would tell them that whining hurt my ears, now I tell them that we don't speak Whinese and they need to try again so that I can understand them.   But as we all know its far easier to preach than practice and so this morning I had a whole internal conversation in Whinese....I don't want to go to work, I hate cleaning the house why do we have to celebrate Halloween for whole freaking month?(Seriously, Halloween is out of control people put on a mask grab some candy be done with it).

I can rant with the best of them and this internal whining could have gone on interminably.  Until- I heard about a family in our community that a got a piece of devastating life altering news.  I don't know the family personally- but it shut up my inner whiner pretty quickly.  Halloween excess, dirty dishes in the sink and a crazy work schedule are all evidence of my having blessings beyond measure.  So the whine fest is over for awhile.

There is a phrase I use in my work a lot,  Radical Acceptance.  It means to accept that which is without the need to change it in the next five minutes.   That's what I am working toward today. And just to drive the point home for me this was on the sign in front of Robert's school :
"Patience is the ability to accept difficult situations without a deadline".    Radical acceptance, patience, peace of mind whatever you call it-  there is no word for it in Whinese.  

Excuse my while I put on my big girl clothes and get busy learning the language of gratitude and acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment