Sunday, March 14, 2010

What a relaxing weekend. Of course, the taxes aren't finished and Robert's room isn't even started...still it was a nice break. Last night marked the inaugural meeting of the Jelly of the Month club at Flemings in Birmingham. Nice to feel like neither a social worker nor a Mommy but a grown up out with her fabulous husband. Angy brought a much needed message today about Sabbath and the discipline of resting and hearing the still small voice. Hard to do, but so worth it.

My lenten practice is hard, but teaching me a lot. In the past I've given up chocolate or coffee etc. But this year I decided to eliminate unnecessary spending. Sooo much harder than I thought it would be. I have neither thought of myself as spending a lot of money, but the truth is that there are all kinds of things I waste money on.

The exercise in spiritual discipline has also made me think in a new way about coveting. I would never have thought I was someone who coveted, but that new handbag my girlfriend got is gorgeous and I really want one. I'm not jealous of her and don't plan on stealing it or anything, but there's a lot of energy that goes toward wanting something just because I want it.

I also realize I spend a lot on coffee , Grande decaf skinny mocha no whip extra foam actually. But I have only been to Starbucks twice since Lent started....I'm still drinking it @home, just not paying 4 bucks a pop for one. And I hardly even miss it, except everytime I pass it and when I am waiting in car pool pick up line, or when I am doing paperwork....actually I need to go to bed before I make another run tonight and mess up my whole Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment