Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Possibilites

What are your favorite smells? Besides crayons mine are (in no particular order)

Starbucks coffee
My G-Mom's chicken and dumplings
Baby Magic lotion in the pink bottle
The way it smells after it rains in the summer
Pine Sol and Murphy's wood soap


Did you know that of your five senses the sense of smell is most closely connected to the part of your brain that files away memories? One of my favorite smells in the world is a box of new crayons....lots of memories coming flooding back every time I open a pack. But memory is a funny thing, sometimes we associate it with only good or only bad...the thing about new crayon smell is that it is the smell of possibility. Anything could happen when you show up for the first day of school, or pick out a cornflower blue crayon and put it to paper. (As an aside I plan to do some research on how they name those crayons. When I went to Sienna and saw the fields...they were exactly the color of Burnt Sienna in the box of 64)

We are full of possibilities around here these days. School is starting, work is changing, Ethan is doing something new everyday. Possibility also brings risk, always. And change brings loss. I I'm trying to focus on the possibility and not the risk, the change not the loss. But I am saying goodbye to a first grader and a newer more mature Robert bursting with creativity and personality. I'm selling changing tables and rockers and letting "Baby Ethan" grow up. I'm rethinking work and my commitments and making new priorities. All in all its wonderful and scary.

Hope you are scared out of your mind and thrilled at the possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment